You might be wondering how is it that your blood can change from a simple liquid state into something of a gel or even semisolid. But that is exactly what a blood clot is. It is something that helps to control the over excess of bleeding of the blood vessel.
It is what you can call as a necessary process in which you will be able to prevent the loss of too much blood. This is especially in the case if you have an injury or have been cut severely.
Having a blood clot is actually what you might be needing and a healthy one at that.
So how this happens is that your blood clot actually forms on the inside, within one of your veins. But you have to know that in certain cases it will not be able to completely dissolve on its own. Check out for any warning signs and symptoms.
So what happens in that situation? In this article, I an going to be talking in detail about what does a blood clot mean. And why is it necessary to know all about it.
Understanding Blood Clot
You should know that when you have an immobile blood clot, it is not something to worry about. It will not completely harm you. But the problem lies when it actually moves and when it does, it can become dangerous for you.
When you have a tooth extraction done, you need to take care of the blood clot. It is completely essential to understand how it will form. If you don’t take care of it, there can be several complications that you will face.
If in any case that blood clot actually frees, you will be suffering from many problems. It is when it will actually travel through your veins and it can also go onto your heart as well as your lungs.
When it does, it also prevents the blood flow and this can further cause many problems for you. This is what it means to have a medical emergency.
But you can still prevent further issues and damage. This is by calling a doctor as soon as you see the problem is actually preceding. It is important that you call for a doctor and seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Types of Blood Clots
Did you know that your circulatory system is actually a complex one. It has many small vessels which we call arteries and veins. These are responsible for transporting the blood through the body.
When you say a blood clot is forming, it means that there is blood blocking in your arteries and your veins.
So the kind of blood clot and in which vessel is how we differentiate between the different types of blood clots in the body. If the blood clot is forming in your artery then it is called an arterial clot. This is a major kind of blood clot and it can lead to a majority of complications for you. You will be needing to head for an emergency medical intervention for the same. This is where blood thinners are made use of.
Symptoms of Arterial Clot
This is one of the serious kind of clots and you will need to get the advice and guidance of a doctor to handle it properly. Some of the major symptoms with this kind is:
- feeling severe pain that will not go away
- getting a paralysis which means you will not be able to move certain parts of the body
- it can be also a numbness of sorts that falls in one or both parts of the body
- if you feel a heart attack coming on, it is definitely a serious one
- a stroke is also a major symptom which happens when this condition cannot be in control anymore
This is the kind of clot which happens when you are getting a clot form in the veins. The way this clot happens is actually quite different from artery clots. It also builds in a slow manner and it will take time. But it is also life-threatening much like the other kind.
This is also complicated and it is what we call a deep vein thrombosis. It is what happens when you have a clot forming in the veins, deep inside your body. This kind is common to certain body parts including those in your arms, pelvis as well as your lungs and in your brain.
Are Symptoms Common?
While the symptoms are not common for all the cases, they do happen. And are actually helping you to determine that there is something wrong before it becomes life threatening. It allows you to seek the best shot of a better life.
But there is also the possibility that you might not suffer from any symptoms at all. But that does not mean you don’t have a blood clot forming. Did you know that the symptoms of a blood clot are actually quite similar to the ones you will be having for other diseases.
So in such cases it is best that you seek the medical advice of your doctor to know the complete depth of your situation properly.
Having a Blood Clot in Leg/Arm
It is important to know how the blood clots form. Especially when it comes to the common areas of your body. When it comes to the kind of symptoms you will be suffering from this condition, these are the most common ones:
- A swelling which will not subdue and you will need to have a doctor’s intervention to see results forming.
- You will feel heavy pain shooting up and down your leg and it is not something which will just end on its own. Even if you are taking certain pain medications, it will not be making much of a difference for the same.
- Getting tenderness. This will start to build through your body in a slow manner. But it will be taking over your body.
- Getting a warm sensation that just continues to increase with time. It is not something which you can effectively control.
- In some severe cases you may also be suffering from a strong red discoloration. This is a strong emphasis on how this disease and condition has a strong hold on you.
A few things you should know that it is not something that depends on the kind and size of clot you have. Hence in certain cases you might not be having any symptoms at all. In cases where the clot is big, it will be impacting your leg at large and cause you to feel extensive pain as well.
A Blood Clot in the Heart
This is the most dangerous kind. When you have a blood clot in the heart, it actually means you will likely suffer from a heart attack or stroke. The major symptom of this kind of clot is that you will feel your chest is heavy. Even suffering from lightheadedness and shortness of breath is common. To prevent blood clots, understand what are the concerning factors.
This is basically concerning and relating to issues with not just your abdomen but it is whatever is relating to your abdomen. Even having a stomach virus or suffering from food poisoning is something you need to look closely into. It could mean that there are some serious blood clot issues you have to understand and look into.
Also if you have a blood clot in your brain or if you are suffering from a stroke, it means that you are having a heavy headache. You can also suffer from difficulty in speaking as well as it becomes hard for you to concentrate on something properly.
It is also quite rightly possible that you may have a blood clot formation in your lungs. When this happens, you will be suffering from what we call pulmonary embolism. The major symptoms you will face for this include:
- having a shortness of breath concern
- chest pain is also common which continues to increase with time
- palpitations or getting a heart rate
- breathing problems are also quite common
- in case you are facing complications, you will also be coughing up blood
There are a few risk factors which can increase your chances of getting a blood clot. So it is best in knowing all of these:
Your age matters- if you are above 65, you are more likely to get blood clots in different parts of the body.
If you are a constant traveler, you are likely to suffer from this condition. This is because you are sitting continuously in one area.
- Bed rest is also a major reason for the same.
- Being overweight leads to major blood clots.
- Family history also plays a major role in the same.
- Smoking is a harmful disease and it can cause even further problems and lead to blood clot issues.
- There are issues with birth control pills. It is best to take advise from your doctor before you start on anything.
- Cancer is a major factor as well. It can lead to certain issues with the body as well.
Blood clot is something which can happen to anyone. In this article I want to let you know that there are certain symptoms and when you know the most common ones, the more better you are equipped to handle them better.