Electric vs. Manual Toothbrush: Which is Better?
It is important that you brush your teeth properly when taking care of your oral health. And one aspect we will look into is having a lowdown on manual vs. electric toothbrush.
When oral health is the key, you need to ensure that you are ensuring proper brushing and flossing in the process.
You should know that brushing your teeth is the ultimate solution to taking care of good oral health. There are different brands out there which ensure your teeth are in complete care.
It is essential that you adapt proper hygiene practices. When it comes to using either kind of toothbrush, be it manual or electric, it is essential to identify which one will work for you.
While it is true that you can still brush your teeth effectively when using a manual toothbrush, electric has its own benefits.
This holds especially true for younger children who don’t understand how to make use of the manual kind properly. As well as for those with disabilities, older people and those with certain conditions.
So how do you choose the right kind? This article is all about that.
Which One is Better for my Teeth?
Brushing the teeth properly is the essential element of your proper dental health. It is the most effective way of understanding and removing the plaque properly.
It is important that you understand what are the pros and cons of using either kind. I will now talk about each kind in detail:
When to Replace Your Toothbrush ?
Let’s now talk about how it is important that you replace your toothbrush every three to four months. You should work on getting your toothbrush replaced on a timely manner. And this goes for both kinds of toothbrushes. Regardless of how you have been using your toothbrush.
With a manual toothbrush, it is possible that you have it replaced completely. However if you have bought an expensive electric toothbrush, you can simply just change the head.
Manual Toothbrush- The Complete Overview
First things first, you will get to know that manual toothbrushes are actually less expensive. As compared to the electric counterparts.
But when it comes to combating certain illnesses like reducing plaque and fighting diseases like periodontal.
However when opting for a manual toothbrush, take on one which has small bristles and soft ones. Know this-those with hard bristles does not account for proper brushing.
If you brush with hard bristles, it can actually damage the gums as well. The best way to ensure your teeth are getting proper cleaning, you have to make use of a sturdy toothbrush. And identify using one which is from a well-reputed company.
Pros and Cons of Manual Toothbrushes
When you are working on whether manual toothbrushes are the right choice for you, here are a few pros and cons you can consider:
- It is portable which means you can easily take it around. Also it is easy to keep one at home, one at office and one as your travel piece.
- This comes as an inexpensive option. There are really good ones you can purchase from the drugstore and it costs very less.
- These manual options can easily be bought from any pharmacy or grocery stores.
- The best thing is that you don’t need any batteries to charge them. In fact it leads to no battery waste as well.
- The biggest disadvantage of this is naturally how you cannot reach out the hard spots. It is best if you choose a toothbrush which is compact and does not have a really big head.
- But if you use it properly, you can make use of it effectively like a manual toothbrush.
- However make sure that you are flossing your teeth properly as well to complete the cleaning process properly.
- Manual is also considered as being less effective when trying to clean the teeth. It isn’t as effective in removing the plaque and also doesn’t work well with preventing diseases like gingivitis.
- This type is also not considered as the ultimate option. It is because it creates excess plastic waste. Did you know that toothbrushes should be replaced every three months. Hence when you replace it, you are actually throwing out excessive plastic.
- Some people also complain that the bristles on manual toothbrushes are actually more abrasive to use as compared to electric toothbrushes.
- Also manual is not considered as being ideal for certain groups. This is because young children and people with disabilities find it hard to brush their teeth with a manual toothbrush.
Electric Toothbrush- The Complete Overview
Now let’s look into what makes up for an electric toothbrush. How to choose it and why it is an important.
The first thing to know is that electric toothbrushes have what you call oscillating rotary heads. These are basically circular heads that move back and forth and on the sides.
There is also the option to take on sonic brush heads which actually are really fast. Ultrasonic brushes that vibrate significantly and hence the name.
The sonic toothbrush is those which have such strong bristles that easily go in between the teeth. They are really good when it comes to cleaning in those tight spaces.
So now let’s talk about what are the pros and cons of making use of electric toothbrushes:
- This is effective in reducing the plaque and any other kind of gum diseases. Those who make use of electric toothbrushes are known to have better oral hygiene.
- There is also limited cases of loss of teeth when you are using electric toothbrushes.
- Electric kind are also known to be better for gum health especially when it comes to people who use braces. Research has shown that people who use electric toothbrush also suffer form less inflammation and less bleeding.
- It is definitely the better option for children in the ages of 7 till 16.
- Same goes for its usage in seniors. It is known that adults can’t work manual toothbrushes properly. As the technique is not always well understood. However with the maneuvering, it becomes relatively easy to handle an electric toothbrush.
- It is also better option when you have certain skin conditions. If you suffer from scleroderma, this will make your mouth tighten from the corners. When that happens, it is best that you make use of manual toothbrushes.
- Also the electric toothbrush is really good when it comes to some extra features that it comes with. In some advanced toothbrush options which includes being able to connect your smartphone through an app. Some toothbrushes also have timers and sensors. This means you can properly note down how long are you brushing and how long do you need to.
Now let’s talk about the cons and problems that relate to making use of electric toothbrushes.
Firstly the cost is the issue. Electric toothbrushes come to a cost which is quite higher as compared to manual toothbrushes.
Also the electric kind is loud . It is more disruptive as compared to manual kinds. Sometimes people actually end up using it strongly and this then can cause damaged to your oral tissues. It is best you don’t make use of too much hand pressure.
What is Best for Toddlers and Young Children- Manual vs. Electric Toothbrush
When it comes to the teeth of your young ones, there are a few things to keep in mind. Your child’s teeth are really sensitive. And you need to keep them in mint condition even if they are milk teeth. This is because they are relating to your gums and you need to make sure that they don’t get affected.
Brushing your teeth with toothbrushes have been going on for ages. People have been using manual toothbrushes for a very long time. And it wasn’t very long after that, that the onset of electric toothbrushes happen.
When we look into the usage of both, it can’t be decided which one is better. Both kinds have been popular in demand. While manual toothbrushes are small and you can carry them around. The electric kind are those which have bigger handles and are much easier to use.
This is especially true for kids and children as well as those who have certain disabilities with skin conditions.