Having milk allergies is a common condition. It basically relates to how your immune system reacts to how many proteins are there in animal milk. The fact is there are plenty. In fact you will notice that there is a specific protein compound in cow’s milk. It can impact your health in many ways.
However this should not be confused with lactose intolerance. This is because both are actually sharing the same symptoms. But that is where the similarity ends. This is because both of these conditions are actually quite different from one another.
When taking about milk allergies, know that they can fall into various categories. Because there are different types of milks. But it is cow’s milk which can become the major cause of suffering from allergies. The allergies can be that in young children as well as adults.
In this article, we will be talking in detail on what are the major kinds of milk allergies. How to combat them and what are the prevention tactics to implement.
So let’s begin:
What is a Milk Allergy?
This is what we call having an abnormal response to the proteins in the milk. Your body’s immune system cannot digest the proteins properly. The complex compounds in cow’s milk can lead to complications. This includes certain milk allergies. However other kinds of milks are also prone to causing allergy in your body. This includes sheep’s milk, goat’s buffalo and more.
But what is the major concern and complication when suffering from milk allergies? It is definitely how you can suffer form anaphylaxis. This is a life-threatening reaction. Which if you don’t combat will lead to other major complications.
The major way in which you can control such allergies is simply by avoiding milk as well as milk products. This ensures your health is well-taken care of.
So how can you make out that you are likely suffering from a milk allergy?
Symptoms of Milk Allergies
When it comes to milk issues, you will notice that your symptoms can differ from another’s. It is not possible that you will be suffering from the exact same symptoms.
The time duration can differ from one person to another. Let’s check out some of the immediate symptoms you will likely face:
- Having the hives
- Wheezing is also common. This is particularly true in cases of those who have been suffering from this condition in the long run
- Itching is also a major and common factor
- Coughing can definitely become a nuisance in the matter
- You will get the feeling of vomiting as well
- Shortness of breath can take place
While these are the few common symptoms, they can very well extend to other concerns which include:
- Suffering from blood stools. This is especially true when you are already suffering from diarrhea. The condition can get even worse if you don’t start treatment right away.
- You can also face some abdominal cramps
- Runny nose becomes a common condition which can actually worsen with time
- Watery eyes relates to how you are not able to feel better and have a sensation of flu all the time
- Vomiting on and off is also quite common
- Intermittent coughing is a continuous sign of worry
- In some cases you will be physically impacted. This is through having severe weight loss. Or even suffering from weight gain
So now that I have shared in detail the kind of symptoms you are suffering from, let me now share details on the various kinds of milk allergies you will likely suffer from:
Almond Milk Allergies
This basically relates to the allergies that will begin when you are switching from regular milk to almond milk. The major changes in the milk compounds affect your health drastically.
When talking of almond milk, you will likely suffer from milk allergies that can come from walnuts, cashews and pecans. They provide the same kind of response and reaction too.
But the difference is that a cow’s milk allergy is one which is not long-lasting. It can be taken care of in due time. However the other kinds are severely complicated. And they can be long-lasting as well.
Now let’s look into the specific symptoms that fall into tree nut allergy:
- Having swelling
- Feeling nauseous
- Suffering from extensive abdominal pain
- Diarrhea can worsen
- You will likely have a continuous runny nose
- Wheezing is also common
- In certain cases, you will likely also have trouble breathing
Soy Milk Allergies
Soy is actually one of the leading reasons as to why you will suffer from milk allergies. But the symptoms for the same can be very severe. Especially when it comes to children. Soybeans are definitely risky. You should be extremely careful with the same.
Some of the most symptoms include:
- Hives are also common
- Runny nose can happen continuously
- Wheezing happens
- When it comes to serious issues, include abdominal pain as well as diarrhea as well as swelling of the lips and throat.
Rice Milk Allergies
In some cases, people will also suffer from certain rice allergies. This is not as common as almond milk allergy but it can still happen.
This happens because you might be giving your children rice milk instead of cow’s milk. It happens as your child can be due to certain severe allergies to cow’s milk.
But even with rice milk, there are some major symptoms and allergies you can suffer from. These include:
- Redness of the skin
- Having a stuffy and runny nose
- Wheezing heavily
Allergy Issues with Children, Infants and Toddlers
The major concerns arise within children. They get impacted with these issues. There are many allergies they can suffer from. Among the many concerns are the strong reactions which can become deadly too.
Hence it is best that you try to breastfeed your kids. The mother’s milk has amazing probiotics and nutrients which are really helpful and beneficial to your children’s health.
The good thing is if your child is suffering from certain allergies then this can be very well detected in the early stages of their lives. The good thing is when you are breastfeeding, you are able to protect your children from various allergies and conditions. So try to keep them protected.
Dairy Products You Should Avoid
When it comes to your health, it is best if you can try avoiding certain food products. These are really harmful and should be avoided at all costs. Some of these are:
- Butter fat
- Cottage Cheese
- Ice cream
Foods with Milk to Avoid
Aside from these, there also certain food elements which contain milk proteins. You should make sure that you first read the label and check if you can eat the food or not.
Just to help you out, I am going to list some of the most common ones people should be avoiding. These include:
- Baked goods
- Cake mix
- Chewing gum
- Mashed potatoes
- Malted Milk
So while this basically lists out some of the common food types you have to avoid. But when it comes to avoiding complications, it is best that you adapt certain lifestyle strategies.
Let me talk to you about those in detail:
Lifestyle Management with Milk Allergy
You should be working out ways in which you should be getting vitamins and minerals, without the need to consume milk.
- If your child is having very strong allergies, you should be consuming food which is healthy but there is no dairy involved.
- There are several dairy substitutes you can opt for. At some of the best grocery stores, you can also choose some non-dairy options for ice-cream, chocolate , cheese, among others.
- Kosher shopping should be done so with precaution. There are some of those which will actually contain milk proteins.
- You should be staying away from foods which do not have proper food labels on them. It is risky to consume what you probably don’t know about.
- Don’t drink milk which is outside in the kitchen. It is best that you make use of products which are properly stored otherwise it can cause you severe health concerns.
- When it comes to taking proper precautions, it is best that you speak to the pediatrician to learn what are the best options available for your child.
Milk allergies are common. There are several types out there. However when it comes to the symptoms, not two will be having the same kind of symptoms. It is best that you analyze what works for you or your children.
In certain cases you will notice how these allergies can get even more severe. And you might require hospitalization as well. But it is best that you speak to your dentist to understand the situation in a complete manner.
Milk allergy is something you should be taking seriously. It is one of the most common conditions and when you are able to recognize the symptoms and understand what specific milk allergy you might be suffering from.