When it comes to the harsh cold winter season, one of the main things to keep yourself protected from is nasal congestion. And there can be plenty of nasal congestion causes.
It is when the blood vessels and the mucous membranes in the nasal passageways will begin to swell up.
And when they do, they will be causing you to suffer from issues which will get complicated if we don’t tackle them in a timely manner.
There are several causes for this kind of issue but you need to know ways in which you can ensure that you are tackling this health concern in the best possible way.
In this article, we will be looking into all that you need to know when it comes to handling this condition.
So let’s start:
What is Nasal Congestion?
This basically means when you are suffering from a stuffy nose.
The symptoms are similar to quite others. It can also relate to when you have a sinus infection.
Such a condition can happen because of a common cold.
When we talk about nasal congestion, there are a few things you will have to look into. These include:
- Having a stuffy nose
- A runny nose is also common
- There can be severe sinus pain
- You will notice there is immense mucus buildup
- Some people even complain of having a swollen nasal tissue
These are common conditions which suggest that you have plenty to look into.
But there are plenty of nasal congestion causes which make it even harder to combat.
Now let’s talk about what are the leading reasons as to why someone might be having it.
Nasal Congestion Causes
Let’s look at some of the leading causes as to why you may be suffering from this condition:
Nasal congestion happens because there is something which is irritating you or that inflames the nasal tissues.
Certain infections including colds, flu or even sinusitis can lead to you feeling sick. There can also be reasons of feeling nasal congestion and a runny nose.
This can vary from one person to another.
In some cases, the nasal congestion can happen because you have a runny nose which is causing irritants to impact it heavily including that of car exhaust.
What other reasons could there be?
- Acute sinusitis can cause such kind of irritation
- You will also be suffering from alcohol issues which is leading to more concerns
- Allergies can also lead to such infection
- Chronic sinusitis is also a leading cause
- Sometimes it can lead to something as plain as the common cold. That itself can lead to complications which can deteriorate your health indefinitely
- Dry air can also be a reason. Especially in the winter season, when you make use of the inverter for long hours
- Enlarged adenoids can also make an impact on your health
- You should be careful with the kind of foreign body in the nose. This causes complications too.
- Hormonal changes can make your congestion worse
- Also influenza is considered as a leading case
- You will notice that certain medications also tend to give such kind of reactions including causing high blood pressure, handling erectile dysfunction as well as certain seizures and even other conditions not in your control
- In pregnancy in winters, it is quite possible to go under such conditions which can only worsen with time if you don’t take immediate action
- Stress can also lead to several health concerns, making you even more sick
- Thyroid disorder can lead to issues with your health too
- Avoiding Tobacco smoke is essential in ensuring your condition is well-taken care of
- If you have been suffering from hay fever, that too can lead to several issues in your health
- A long-lasting sinus infection is one which can lead to you feeling nauseous for long periods of time
Now let’s look into and highlight home remedies which can make a difference to your health.
Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion
There are quite a few kinds of home remedies which can help when you are suffering from nasal congestion.
These are known to help your health.
As we have highlighted how dry air can be a leading cause, it will be helpful for you to make use of a humidifier.
This is such that it will be adding moisture into the air and this helps in breaking up the mucus as well as soothing the inflammation in the passageway.
So make use of this as often.
Also saline sprays are definitely popular.
They are really good in clearing the air and ensuring there is no mucus buildup in your nose.
Make use of an aspirator as this will help in removing the mucus which is remaining in your baby’s nose.
Other Helpful Tips
Also you should be drinking plenty of hot fluids. This will help in thinning out the mucus.
You can also use a warm and wet towel which you have to place on your face.
This will be providing you instant relief from the discomfort in no time.
You can also make your sleeping posture better. This will allow the air to pass through in a far better way.
Do so by propping yourself up. However at night, you can just lie down by making use of a couple of pillows.
And make sure that you are keeping your head elevated at a certain angle. This will ensure your breathing is stable for longer hours.
One of the best ways to ensure your condition is better is to avoid making use of chlorinated pools. This is because they will be irritating your nasal passages.
It is best to avoid their use completely as they will be making your health far worse.
Taking long and steamy showers also helps. You can breathe in steam from a pot of warm water. This helps the condition in several ways.
A nasal irrigator is also a really helpful way of ensuring your health is well taken care of.
You should be adapting ways in which your nasal area is kept clear of.
When To See a Doctor
Sometimes despite trying to adapt the best kind of remedies, your health can still get affected.
So what should be done in such a case?
Well, for that it is best that you analyze your symptoms and determine how to make the most of your health condition.
If the way you feel is getting even more painful and it is impacting how you carry out your daily tasks, it is time to see a doctor.
Some of the conditions which need a doctor’s visit asap include:
- When your congestion has lasted more than 10 days
- If you are also suffering with high fever which is staying on for more than 3 days
- There is green nasal discharge which is coupled with sinus pain and high fever
- When you are feeling you have a very weak immune system and this is also coupled with asthma
- All of these conditions suggest that your condition is deteriorating and getting serious by the day
- It is especially true in case a young child or infant is suffering from this condition. They need immediate attention and focus
While we have talked in detail how this condition is such which will be affecting your health in a number of ways.
Now we would be highlighting its impact on infants and children even.
Nasal congestion can actually be life threatening in smaller children.
This is because it can lead to fatal breathing concerns.
You will also likely suffer from normal speech concerns and also hearing is impaired in some cases.
This is why when a child is suffering from it, you have to go see a doctor to determine nasal congestion causes and get the best kind of treatment for it.
Blowing Your Nose
It is also important we look into ways in which how blowing the nose is going to impact your condition.
You should make sure you are blowing the nose right.
How you do so is by not forcing the mucus out. If you do so, it will actually lead to buildup in your ears as well as into other parts.
So make sure you are disposing off the tissue with which you are going to blow off the nose.
Also it matters that you wash your hands afterwards. This you have to do in a proper manner to ensure it is done properly so.
Nasal congestion is one of the most common issues anyone has to go through during winters.
This is because it will make your health worse and causes for many complications to arise.
That is especially in the case of young children and infants.
While there are medical ways of getting treatment, there are also some really effective remedies that work wonders.
In this article, I shared the leading ways to combat nasal congestion.
Also we looked into nasal congestion causes. There are quite a few reasons as to why this is happening to you and knowing the reasons helps in finding solid solutions.