Sometimes have you ever felt shoulder pain which is versatile and you can’t really pinpoint how did this pain originate?
The shoulder is basically the ball and socket joint. It has three main bones.
These are the long-arm bone, the collarbone and the shoulder blade.
All three bones have the cushioning of cartilage.
It is quite interesting how all three bones are coming together. You need the shoulder joint as it allows your shoulder to move comfortably back and forth.
But how does the shoulder pain set in?
This is mainly due to the rotator cuff. Many tendons are making up the rotator. And when you are suffering from certain pain, this is where the problem lies.
So what leads to the shoulder pain? Identifying the causes, and planning the treatment- we will be talking about all of this in this blog post.
So let’s begin:
What is Causing your Shoulder Pain?
There are many conditions which can lead towards your shoulder pain.
But the major cause is usually the rotator cuff tendinitis.
It is when you have swollen tendons. We have already mentioned how your rotator has 4 tendons. And when there is trouble, the first thing you will have is these tendons getting swollen.
This is how your shoulder and the full arm will feel swollen.
While sometimes it is common to feel pain because you were involved in an injury, but sometimes the pain cannot be pinpointed.
So let me now point out the main causes of it:
Causes of Shoulder Pain
I am now going to get into the details of what causes shoulder pain. There can be various reasons for the same.
Let’s see what these are:
- torn cartilage
- torn rotator cuff
- having a pinched nerve in the shoulder
- being subjected to a broken arm
- a broken shoulder is also a cause of concern
- dislocated shoulder can also become worrisome
- when you are overusing or repeating the same tasks again and again, it is quite possible to dislocate your shoulder
- frozen shoulder- this is when your tendons as well as your muscles and ligaments become stiff.
- this is when you have difficulty when trying to move. And even when you do move your arm or shoulder, it is very painful.
- a major problem can arise when you have poor posture.
- bone spurs in the shoulder region can also become worrisome
- referred pain is also a common issue. This is when there are problems and pain in the rest of your body and its effects can be felt in the shoulder region too.
- the pain you are feeling does not set only when you are moving. But it also happens when your arm is at rest
- being subjected to a heart attack can be a cause of concern. The major symptoms you face can include shoulder pain
- a spinal cord injury can also cause you to have a shoulder pain which shoots up and down your arm
So how do we know whether the pain you are feeling is due to a shoulder injury or is it some other kind of illness that you may be suffering from.
Let’s see how this is taken care of :
Diagnosis of Shoulder Pain
Your doctor will determine why are you feeling this shoulder pain.
The doctor will look into your medical history as well as will carry a proper physical examination to know the root causes.
They will also feel for and check why are you having this tenderness and swelling.
A few things which are checked and looked into is if there is any case of motion and the joint stability in the body.
A few tests which are done include X-ray or MRI.
Besides that, your doctor will be asking a series of questions to determine what is causing the pain in your shoulder.
These questions include:
- Are you feeling pain in one shoulder or both ?
- Did the pain set in all of a sudden or was it something that was gradually setting into your system?
- Does it hurt when you move your arm or shoulder?
- Is the pain same during all times or is it more when you are moving as opposed to when sitting?
- When moving in certain ways, does it make it more hurtful?
- Is the pain moving to other parts of the body?
- How often do you feel it?
- Are there any certain activities which make the pain worse?
- Do you have to limit your activities so to control the pain in your shoulder and arm?
These are some of the standard questions your doctor will be looking into to get the complete picture of your condition.
It is necessary that you give your complete information so as to allow your doctors to have an overview of the condition.
Seeking Medical Help- When It Is Needed
Having mild shoulder pain is not a major cause of concern.
However if there are some added issues, you need to call for medical help immediately. These include:
- Having on/off onset of fever
- Not being able to move your arm comfortably
- Bruising becomes common and long-lasting
- There is heat and tenderness around the joint
- The pain is persistent
These are some causes of concern which let you know that there is immediate medical attention needed.
However you can also be having these shoulder pains due to a heart attack.
To know if you are actually suffering from heart attack, there are a few associating concerns which you need to be aware of:
- Having trouble breathing
- Getting a chest tightness
- Dizziness is also common
- You will also be excessively sweating
- There is continuous pain in your neck and jaw
If you are facing these concerns, it means you will have to get immediate medical help and attention.
It is important that you identify your symptoms and any relating concerns to be able to form a complete picture.
So now let’s talk about the kinds of treatment options available:
Treatment for Shoulder Pain
Treatment is also important. You will need to get seek medical assistance in case your pain is not subsiding.
So the kind if treatment you get directly relates to the cause of the shoulder pain and how severe it is.
In some cases you will be needing even physical and occupational therapy.
This also includes getting a surgery. Also physiotherapy can be helpful.
Sometimes all that you need is getting a prescription medication. This is something which will help to subdue the pain and provide some solace over the discomfort.
In case of getting a shoulder surgery, there are a few after-care instructions which if you follow carefully will allow you to get a full and proper healing.
Now let’s talk about the ways in which you can actually prevent shoulder pain.
Prevention of Shoulder Pain
When it comes to shoulder pain, when having it for mild causes, you can just conduct a few exercises.
These simple exercises can include stretching and strengthening of the muscles
Since we have talked about how the rotator cuff tendons are the main element in keeping your shoulder pain at bay.
Sometimes to take care of simple shoulder pain, all you need is to apply ice for 15 minutes so as to keep your shoulder in good condition.
Some of the major home-remedies relate to moving and stretching your joint so as to strengthen the joint muscles.
You should aim to focus on the range of motion.
If the pain is becoming persistent, you can also apply hot and cold compressors to reduce the pain. And make it more bearable.
Shoulder pain can be a major cause of concern in some cases. Especially in those if it takes place when you don’t have a major physical injury.
In fact shoulder pain can take place for a number of reasons. In this article we looked into the detail of all these major reasons.
Especially when the shoulder pain is relating to a heart attack concern.
There may be some relating issues as well which is causing the shoulder pain to remain so persistent in the body.
You need to understand all of these reasons to make an informed decision.
This blog post was giving all the relating elements of shoulder pain.
Identify your pain and act before the problem deteriorates and becomes harder to handle.