Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you are continuously rubbing your eyes? This is may be due to dry eyes condition. There can be several dry eyes causes.
It is actually a very common condition.
What happens in this condition is that your eyes will not be providing enough lubrication.
And when that happens, you will be feeling that your eyes are not making enough tears. Or there is a chance that your tears are of what we call of being poor quality.
But when dry eyes causes you to feel this way.
This instability can lead to you suffering from inflammation as well as heavy damage to the eye’s surface.
They also make you feel uncomfortable and you will also be having an issue of feeling a sting and burn.
In this article I want to share all the details that relate to dry eyes, specifically dry eyes causes and symptoms and home remedies you should be trying out.
So let’s start:
Symptoms of Dry Eyes
The first thing we need to look into is how we can identify the dry eyes dilemma.
For one thing you will be having a scratchy feeling. This is something which continues to linger on and make your eyes feel even red.
Some other issues you can suffer from :
- Having a stinging and burning sensation around the eyes area.
- There will possibly be mucus around the eyes as well.
- You will most likely be suffering from a sensitivity issue around the eyes region.
- Eye redness and puffy eyes is also common.
- It can come and go but it usually stays on for a long time.
- You will most likely be suffering from what we call a condition in which you continuously feel there is something in your eye when there isn’t.
- In most cases, it becomes hard to even wear contact lenses.
- There is a possible issue of nighttime driving.
- Watery eyes is common.
- This is the kind of response your body gives due to the eye condition/
- There will possibly be a blurred vision you have to go through.
- In most cases, it becomes common to have eye fatigue. This means your eyes will feel like they have a huge burden on them.
- It isn’t likely you will be going through a state where your eyes feel at ease.
Now let’s look at the leading risk factors:
Risk Factors for Dry Eyes
This is a very common condition. It happens in people coming in the age group of 50 and older.
They will most likely be going through it.
In most cases, it is common in women but it can happen in men too.
If there are women who are pregnant they will be most likely be on a higher risk as compared to those who are not.
Same goes for women who are suffering from menopause or had to go through a hormone replacement therapy.
Other conditions which can lead you to suffer from this condition include:
- chronic problems which will be impacting your eyes a lot
- you will likely suffer from a thyroid disease
- lupus and other kinds of conditions can also cause you to suffer from this condition
- bacterial or viral infection
- vitamin A deficiency is also common; this can likely happen because you are not having enough nutrition in the system
Now let’s talk about the leading reasons as to why this will be happening:
Dry Eyes Causes
When dry eyes happen, they do so because your healthy tear film is affected for a number of reasons.
Did you know that your tear film actually has three major layers- fatty oils, aqueous fluid as well as a layer of mucus.
It is important that you get a proper combination of all three so to have eyes which are not properly lubricated, smooth or clear.
A tear film dysfunction is something which can impact your eyes highly.
You will likely be having a reduction in tear production and there is a more of tear evaporation. Both of these conditions can cause you to suffer from many eye problems.
So how do both relate to one another?
Let’s look into the details of both:
Decreased Tear Production
This condition means you will still be having tears formation, but they are very few and also of low-quality.
It means they will not be able to lubricate the eyes effectively.
This aqueous fluid needs to be of good amount. It happens when you are aging. With age, the quality of tears also starts to decrease.
There are certain medical issues like having lupus, Sjogren’s syndrome and even vitamin A deficiency which can lead to you suffering from this state.
Even certain kind of medications can put that kind of impact on your eyes. If you take too much antidepressants as well acne and taking on birth control can definitely put the pressure on your eyes.
Having what we call corneal nerve desensitivity can lead you to suffer from this condition even more.
Now let’s look into what is increased tear evaporation.
Increased Tear Evaporation
This is a condition in which you will notice that there is an oil film which is forming at the glands which you find at the corner of your eyelids.
What happens is that you will notice they are getting clogged.
What are the some common causes of tear evaporation:
Having to blink very less especially when doing certain conditions like driving, reading or working on screens.
Eye allergies can make your eyes suffer a lot
Wind, smoke and even dry air can lead you to suffer from this condition.
Vitamin A deficiency is probably one of the leading caused for this.
There may be certain issues which can easily arise. These include problems like:
- Eye infections which happens because you don’t have tears which are protecting the surface of your eyes from infection.
- There will be certain damage which can happen to the surface of your eyes.
- If you do not get proper treatment, it will lead to you suffering from dry eyes for long days.
- Having an abrasion at the corneal surface and also corneal ulcers can lead to your eyes having several problems.
- There is a definite decrease in the quality of life.
- Dry eyes will be making it very hard for you to lead to having problems when even trying to do simple, usual tasks.
- This can include even something as common as having to read.
So what are the common prevention tactics to make use of:
Prevent Dry Eyes
In case you suffer way too much from dry eyes, it is best to recognize the symptoms and find ways to prevent it.
Some simple tactics that work:
- Avoid air blowing. This means be cautious when making use of hair dryers and air conditioners.
- You should make a habit to adapt moisture in the air. So for that, using humidifiers is a really smart move.
- Also it is best if you are able to wraparound sunglasses or you make use of protective eyewear.
- Make sure you are giving your eye plenty of breaks . This is especially true when you are making use of long tasks.
- Be aware of the air which is in your environment. Where you feel there is extreme darkness, it helps if you close your eyes frequently. And make sure your eyes have plenty of lubrication.
- Smoking can be a leading cause too. If you are able to quit smoking, you will see how it helps in combating dry eyes symptoms.
- Make use of artificial tears as much as you can. It helps in treating the chronic dry eyes disease.
- When you use such drops, they will be keeping your eyes well-lubricated.
Learn more about Pink Eye here.
Dry Eyes Treatment
So when talking about a cure, while you cannot eliminate the condition completely, you can still try to manage it effectively.
When you have dry eye in the morning, control airflow sources as they can exacerbate the dry eyes symptoms.
You should also be making use of ointments in the night. As they will controlling and maintaining the moisture better.
When looking at dry eyes at night, it is something which happens when you have spent the whole day with dry eyes.
If you have been using computer all day, it will lead to your eyes being very dry at night.
So it is best to adapt remedies which keep your dry eyes causes in control.
Dry eyes causes you to suffer from an extreme habit of scratching and having eyes inflammation.
This is something which you will definitely be suffering from. But the good thing is- it is easily preventable.
You just need to make sure your eyes are in complete care.
Managing them in good condition is also needed. It all comes down to ensuring your eyes are healthy and in mint condition.
In this article we looked into all the ways in which you can ensure your eyes are getting quality treatment.
This will then translate to you having good quality tears which keeps the eyes lubricated.