Have you ever been through the sensation where you just can’t stop twitching? Eye twitching causes can be one too many.
It relates to when you are going through an eyelid spasm.
An eye twitch takes over when the eye muscle is a movement which you cannot control.
This is a completely involuntary action which makes it harder for you to keep your eye focus in control.
In some cases, a doctor may also consider it as being a condition called blepharospasm.
And it usually occurs and happens on your upper eyelid.
This is when the lid will keep on moving every few seconds and the twitching lasts for a minute or more.
In this article, we will be looking into its types, reasons it happens to you and ways to control it.
So let’s start:
Types of Eye Twitches
There can actually be more reasons than just one as to why someone’s eye may be twitching.
It is important to know what they may be .
Let’s now look into the three common kinds of eye twitching causes:
Minor Eyelid Twitch
This is something most of the people out there may go through at some point in life.
It is usually associating to when you are in an extreme stressful state and feel there is too much fatigue.
Due to very high caffeine intake, it is likely that your eyes may be twitching.
This may also take place at the surface of the eye which is the cornea and onto the membranes that are lining the eyelids.
As these two areas can easily get irritated. And will most likely make you suffer.
Now this is the kind that shows up in your late adulthood age.
And with time, it continues to get worse even.
While the statistics show that this kind is also not too common, but there are also more than 2000 people in USA itself who were diagnosed with this condition.
Also it is more so common in women than in men and it seems that the cases keep on getting worse. As they impact a person’s daily lifestyle.
The onset for this happens when you are blinking nonstop. There is also immense eye irritation which will keep on getting worse.
You will also be feeling light sensitivity and often suffer from blurry visions and even have facial spasms.
This is something which can even get worse if your eyelids continue to stay shut for long hours.
While again the onset for the same cannot be determined, it is usually your genes which play a strong role in them happening.
And finally, the last kind is a rare condition. It is something relating to the muscles which are around your mouth and your eyelid.
This differs from others because it is something which is impacting only one side of your face.
In most cases, its onset is due to when there is an artery which is actually pressing on your facial nerves.
When that happens, it brings an uneasy feeling and will make you uncomfortable.
This too can last for hours and in some cases, the twitching is irreversible and can continue for days. If the treatment is not given in the right manner, it is a chronic state that will continue on for a very long time if not managed properly.
Why is My Eye Twitching?
This is a common issue.
Many people will be getting this weird rhythm which they cannot really point out on why this is happening.
There can be several reasons for it.
While most eye twitching is subtle, the thing is to the person it is happening can serve as a nuisance to the person who is going through ir.
Did you know that the medical term for this condition is known as ‘myokymia’?
Now what is really happening in this state?
It is an uncontrollable eyelid spasm which is persistent can last for days.
But here’s the good news- if you know the causes, you can very well control it.
So now we will be looking into why it is happening:
Eye Twitching Causes
Some of the most common reasons as to why this is happening is because of:
- Having a high alcohol intake- this is something which will built on you and make you feel super uneasy. As a result it can be a reason for the onset of eye twitching.
- Bright light is also something which can impact you. It is uncontrollable and can make you feel uneasy.
- You should definitely look into your caffeine intake. If this is too high, chances are that may be the reason why you are twitching so much.
- Fatigue is also a major reason. Its onset can make you feel uneasy and uncomfortable.
- Smoking is also a major reason for why you may be twitching so uncontrollably.
- Stress is yet another major concern. It can lead to you feeling restless. So make sure the stress hormones are in control and you will be twitching far less than you usually do.
- Wind and air pollution is also a common reason as to why someone may be going through this.
In cases of those who are suffering from benign blepharospasm, the reasons can be a little more complicated.
They can include:
- Having very dry eyes
- Feeling a surge of light sensitivity
- Suffering from corneal abrasion
It is best to have yourself tested at the doctors to know what can be the reason for the onset of your condition.
This will allow you to determine the real causes. Hence what are the proper treatments for the same.
Treatment for Eye Twitching
The treatment directly relates to the reasons. When you identify the eye twitching causes, you automatically also get a hold of how to control it better.
So let’s see what are the causes and how to get the best
- Stress can lead to eye twitching. In such cases you should be practicing yoga, breathing exercises and spending quality time with loved ones.
- Fatigue is also a leading and potential cause. When you are drained and tired, it will directly reflect on your eye twitching habits. So it is best to have some sleep done.
- Eye strain is a common issue. It is particularly so if you spend too much time in front of screens. Hence it is best that you try to catch breaks in between and rest those eyelids from taking on continuous work.
- Caffeine is yet another leading reason. It is best if you just cut out some coffee, tea and soft drinks. You will notice that your eye twitching gets better eventually.
- Dry eyes can also cause uncontrollable eye twitching. In such cases you can make use of eye drops which will be bringing back moisture into the surface of the eye.
- Nutritional impact can also make a difference. If you are worried about your health, it is best that you speak to your doctors about giving you some nutritional supplements that will definitely be making a difference
- Allergies can definitely play a major role too. If someone is allergic to a certain stimulant, chances are that they will be suffering from itching as well as watery eyes.
- Alcohol is one of the leading causes for someone suffering from eye twitching. You should make sure that you are taking a proper break from the same. And notice if the condition changes or improves in any way.
- So make sure you are not in the habit of constantly rubbing your eyes as this can trigger and cause even more issues to your eyelids.
- It is best if you consult your eye doctor and make sure that the reason for your eye complications are well looked into and sorted out.
When to See an Eye Doctor
You should be visiting an eye doctor in case your eye twitching is not improving in any way.
Also if it is too persistent and you are noticing that there are sudden changes to the appearance of the face.
You should make sure it is not a very serious condition and attempt ways to make it even more controllable.
There can also be some neurological reasons for this so it is best that you get yourself checked by a doctor about the same.
This is a major overview and is a dedicated attempt at ensuring that your eyes are well-looked after.
It is a commitment to ensuring your eyes are getting the treatment they rightfully deserve.
Eye twitching causes you to suffer. It is a nuisance which is irritating and impacts your daily lifestyle.
But there is good news- it is something which is controllable and you can make sure you are well taking care of it.
When it comes to eye twitching, there are some major ways to identify the causes for it.
If only you know the reasons, you will be able to find the right solutions too which will be making an impact and improve your lifestyle in a number of ways.
In this article, we looked into all of those and ways to make sure your eye health is kept a priority.